Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Are you taking care of your body?

Health is....a blessing that money cannot buy.
Izaak Walton
Good Morning Sister W.W.F.F.,
Last Saturday our topic at Weight Watchers was how we could eat healthier without spending our life savings on food. How expensive having a bed in a hospital really is. So it got me to thinking about my body and all the things it has to do and all the brutality I did and can put it through.
While printing out some pictures last night of myself, there was a picture of me taken in March of 2005 before I joined Weight Watchers. At this time, my one knee had already been giving me tons of problems and on a trip to the Orthopedic doctor he looks at me and said, ''all that weight your carrying around is not helping those joints any." My first thoughts was to give him a quick comeback, due to ''did he really think he was the first doctor to ever tell me anything like this?" Get a number and stand in line. However, something he did say got my attention, and that was, ''for every pound you lose you are taking 4 pounds of stress off your knee joints." At that time I weighed around 280 pounds, so can you imagine how much stress has been taken off those poor joints of mine?
As most of you know I still had to have a hip replaced, plus one knee replacement done, but not until after I had already lost 60 pounds. Losing the weight is what I contribute to my speedy recovery, and now I'm able to walk, do my daily care of Bob, and exercise at the gym for an hour without any of those pains. I can also breath so much better.
Looking back at that picture, I felt such sadness due to I did not realize just how huge I really was. So today I need to apologize to my body, it has given me all these years of trying to keep me going, and only in the last 3 1/2 years have I truly tried to do my part. I have noticed something this week, and I'm sure it sound silly, BUT, when walking I feel so much lighter. :>)
Trying to lose weight is hard, and trying to keep it off is sometimes even harder, but just think of the benefits your body will be giving you.
Wishing everyone a wonderful day, and be good to your body, its the only one you get down here,
Hugs,
Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment